Jesus – God’s Greatest Gift to the World
We all love gifts. Stop to consider – what one thing would you most like to have now, if no limits were placed on the fulfillment of your dreams and desires. But maybe before getting too far into that, we should look at what the Bible identifies as God’s greatest Gift to the world – Jesus. “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.” John 3:16, NKJV.
Who is Jesus? The Bible tells us that He is God. Matthew 1:23 says, “‘Behold a virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel,’ which is translated ‘God with us.’” See also John 1:1-3,14.
How long has Jesus existed? Since beginning of eternity with God. It’s in the Bible, John 1:1-2 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. Also, in Revelation 1:8, "I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End,” says the Lord,“who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty."
Why did Jesus come to this world?
- He came to seek and to save us In Luke 19:10 Jesus said, “For the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost.”
- He came to die for our sins. 1 Corinthians 15:3 says, “Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures.” Jesus knew beforehand all the sufferings that He would have to experience in order to be our Saviour. But He was willing to endure it all for our sake because in His great love for us He does not want us to be lost. Revelation 13:8 calls Jesus, “the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.” This means that even before we were created, He was totally committed in His heart to be our Saviour, if the need should arise. His death was completely voluntary for the sake of our salvation. Could there be any greater love than this?
- He came to bear witness to the truth. Jesus declared in John 18:37, “For this cause I was born, and for this cause I have come into the world, that I should bear witness to the truth.” When we know the truth, we become free. It’s in the Bible, John 8:32,36, "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” "Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed."
- He came to destroy the power and works of Satan. 1 John 3:5,8 states that Jesus “was manifested to take away our sins, and in Him there is no sin. . . For this purpose the Son of God was manifested that he might destroy the works of the devil.”
- He came to bring us into an everlasting relationship of love with God the Father. God’s word says it in 1 Peter 3:18. “For Christ also suffered once for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God.” In Romans 5:8, "But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us."
When Jesus came to this earth, He became a real human to experience and live as you and I live as humans, to struggle and deal with heartache and temptation like we do. He became truly human for our sakes. It’s in the Bible, John 1:14, "And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth." We know from this that Jesus really understands our nature and our needs, because He experienced human life as you and I do, and knows exactly how to help us in every way. It’s in the Bible, Hebrews 4:15-16, "For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need."
If we accept Christ and receive Him, we can become children of God. It’s in the Bible, John 1:12, "But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name: who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.Yet to all who did receive Him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God."
Are there any other ways to receive eternal life? The Bible says that Jesus is our only Saviour in Acts 4:12. “Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.” Jesus said, “I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life.” John 14:6.
How do I know that Jesus wants to save me and be my friend? Jesus invites us, “Come to Me all you who labor and are heavily burdened, and I will give you rest.” “Whoever is thirsty, let him come to Me and drink.” “I will certainly not cast out anyone who comes to Me.” Matthew 11:28; John 7:35; 6:37 (MLB). But Jesus does even more than this, He comes to us and stand’s at our heart’s door and lovingly knocks and pleads for entrance into our lives. He says, “Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone listens to My voice and opens the door, I shall come into him and dine with him and he with Me.” Revelation 3:20 (MLB).
Won’t you respond to His invitation today, right now? If you do, it will bring great joy to your heart and to all of heaven. Jesus tells us, “I say to you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents” (Luke 15:10, NKJV). Respond to His drawing love now, without hesitation, for God’s word says, “Behold, now is the acceptable time, now is the day of salvation” (2 Corinthians 6:2, RSV).
In confirmation of your decision to accept Christ as your Lord and Savior, you could offer to God a prayer like this: “Dear Father in heaven, I believe that You sent Jesus to be My Savior. I love You for this and want to accept Your wonderful gift of His salvation. Please give me grace to repent of all my sins and teach me how to open my heart to You more widely each day, so that I can follow Jesus and be changed by His power to live as Your child. Help me to learn more about You every day from Your word, the Bible. Thank you for hearing and answering this prayer, in the name of Your dear Son and my Savior, Jesus. Amen.”
Here is a promise for you to claim as a newly born again person: “To all who received Him, who believed in His name, He gave power to become children of God; who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God” (John 1:12,13, RSV).
Read about the Salvation that Christ offers us for free!